Saturday 24 November 2012

moving on


Today, my worst nightmare came true.

Over the past week, not everything was right in my life.

It all began last weekend when after trying to climb up the stairs, my dog Jack collapsed and I screamed. I screamed because I had never seen lose energy like that before. A few days prior, we had known not all was well with him. We thought he had a cold.

The week went by, we noticed there wasn't much improvement. Yesterday was the perkiest I had seen him in a long time. He was barking and waging his tail and letting us know "I'm fine. Things are OK."

How wrong he was.

I went to sleep at about quarter to 4 last night.

I was woken up at about half 2 this afternoon.

Heart murmur, kidney and liver failure.

And that was it.

It was approximately half 1 when he was put into sleep.

He would've only had gotten worse otherwise. That wouldn't have been right. Why should he have to suffer like that?

But I am utterly heartbroken. I'm numb. Shocked. I haven't stopped crying since I woke up. My eyes are constantly filled with water. My head hurts. I haven't eaten. Nothing is the same right now. Nothing feels right at this point in time, and it won't for quite some time.

This dog was perhaps one of the most special things to have ever happened to me.

I was in 2nd year in secondary school when we adopted him. I like to mark that time we got him as a time when my life would get amazing, as prior to that I had not so good times.

And it did. It only got better and better.
I am so happy to have had you, Jack, in my life. I'll treasure every moment I had with you. And the great inspiration you gave me will never fade.

I always feared this day. Of course it was going to happen, but you never want it to.

I just... don't know what else to say...

I only wish I had given him one last hug...

One last kiss...

Jack, we love you so much.

Always.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, losing a pet is tough, I remember when I lost my dog. But he was very sick and all in all it was better for him that way.. Dogs do have shorter lives than us, I suppose when you live with them it's easier to forget that. I think they generally lead happier lives at that. The important thing is to remember the time that you had with him, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, I feel so sorry for you! I've already lost two dogs in m y life and last week, I learned the dog I have now probably has cancer, so I totally know that feel.

    I just wish I could make everything alright. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete